Pages

Thursday, December 3, 2009

Hello, Old Friend

Talk about failing miserably at this blogging thing. Happy Thanksgiving and almost nearly Merry Christmas! The holiday season has arrived, and it's been a rather exciting and stressful month.

Mother and I have started Zumba classes at the rec center. I'm doing a Proverbs study with a couple of girls from my church, and it has definitely been a learning experience and a lesson in devotion. I'm really terrible at remembering to do my study pages, but apparently so are the other girls so I don't feel so bad.

I got to spend a whole weekend swing dancing at an exchange with wonderful dancers and was blessed both with godly hosts and with a godly roommate, which was tremendously exciting. My roommate particularly kept me from going completely off the deep end. (Okay, not that I really would have done anything because I'm much too mild-mannered, but she let me babble to her rather than to someone with less than my best interests at heart.) I met a guy who is completely wonderful and whom I had actually met once before at a previous exchange and about whom I would positively gush to one of my dearest friends except for the fact that she is also interested in him. I suppose it's fortunate that he is in a far away state and is not at all fond of e-mail or the telephone. I have been trying to distract myself with reading and writing (which often ends up being about him) and singing and listening to music (that reminds me of him). Overall, the distractions are not being particularly distracting. I would write about him here, but that would not be at all helpful to my current state of mind.

One of the books I've been reading is Lauren Winner's Girl Meets God. It is her memoir, partially about converting from Judaism to Christianity and partially about her growth as a Christian and what she has learned and is learning about growing closer to God. I'm not quite halfway through, but she has a very relatable style of writing and I have thoroughly enjoyed what I have read so far and look forward to continuing her story. It's the story of a journey, and I find that quite fascinating. She is not afraid to admit her failures and expose them to the world, expressing her disappointment in herself and sometimes with others. In the chapter I just finished, she told about her pastor's challenging her to give up reading for Lent because it is something that means a whole lot to her and would be a real sacrifice to God, giving up a significant part of herself. This practice, she said, led her to increased prayer because she couldn't bury herself in books to escape her problems; she had to take them to the Lord. I can absolutely relate to this practice of running into books where things work out in the end when things in my life seem not to be resolving like I think they should.

In other news, next year is going to be peculiarly challenging. Two of my cousins and at least two of my friends are getting married. I will be attending two of the weddings for sure (those of my cousins) and hopefully those of my two dear friends. This is challenging because I am still single, something to which I begin to be resigned every now and then until a year like this comes up and I wonder if I will ever get married at all. Then, I have to remind myself that I am only 23, and there is plenty of time to get married and have a family. (I won't deny I have had imaginings of marrying the guy described above, but since I don't know him all that well, I can't really say whether or not I would really want to marry all of him.)

So that's it, I guess. For now.

No comments:

Post a Comment