Pages

Monday, June 18, 2012

Happy Father's Day!

My dad is a pretty cool dude. He always has been. I've been told I look just like him. It's true. When we laugh, our eyes squint shut.
Fourth of July 2008.
My dad came to Florida every year for four years to help me move apartments while I was in college. Now, he just hires movers to take care of it. (Movers are efficient. My dad likes efficiency.)

Here's what I've learned from my dad (well, some of it . . .)

  • It's important to know how to laugh at yourself. A lifetime of being poked fun at, and I think I've finally learned this . . . maybe.
  • When it rains, it's wet outside. Cows lie down in a field because they're tired. One side of the flying V is longer because there are more birds on that side.
  • Spend time with the family every chance you get.
  • Don't let the bathtub overflow. It's a big mess.
  • Everything I'll ever need is probably in the spare room. Just give him time to find it.
  • I don't really need the cell phone every moment of the day.
  • "I don't feel good" is not a good excuse not to go to work. Go to work anyway.
My dad says nobody ever said he was a nice guy. It's not true. People say it all the time. He's kind and generous and helpful and humble and nice in the most genuine way possible.
At rehearsal dinner for Jena & Adam's wedding. June 11, 2010.
My dad doesn't really do the Internet, but I'm sure Mom will show him this. Right, Mom?

Happy Father's Day, Daddy!

No comments:

Post a Comment