Pages

Thursday, January 31, 2013

Like Letters

I have a penchant for writing long-winded letters, fraught with emotion, to guys I find attractive. If you've ever been the receiving party of such a letter, I apologize. (There aren't that many of you, and you're probably not reading this anyway, but just in case. . .) You probably didn't deserve it, and I shouldn't have inflicted it upon you, but I'm certain that I meant every word I wrote at the time that I wrote it. Still, that's no excuse for actually giving it to you. I probably should have kept it to myself.

Then, I had a breakthrough of sorts. I wrote a short note and spent a day agonizing over whether or not to give it to someone. In the end, I didn't, partly because I am a little shy sometimes, partly because my gut told me not to, and partly because I was terrified someone else would find it and read it and hello awkward!

The note didn't say anything incriminating. There was a comment on his looks (sort of) and a compliment on a recent project. It shouldn't have been embarrassing to give him the note or even to say those things to his face . . . if I only thought of him as a friend.

There's the trouble, though.

I like him. I probably shouldn't, but I do. A little, anyway. Enough to make me awkward.

If I didn't, I could tell him the things that I wrote in that note, but since I do, anything I say is going to sound like I'm flirting. Which would be okay, I suppose, if I knew he also liked me. But I don't. And anyway, he shouldn't. We're really all wrong for each other. Probably.

So I'm erring on the side of caution when it comes to "Like Letters" these days.

Probably.

2 comments:

  1. There is nothing wrong with opening your heart in such gentle ways, because if you don't -- one day when you grow old like Laurie and me, you may realize that you have missed something wonderful that could have been. I remember the fear of rejection and the fear of appearing like an open book in an unrequited sense. But young lady, please realize you are beautiful in many ways and if by chance that recipient doesn't see it that way, then it is probably his loss and you've lost nothing in the risk. Besides, what's not to like about you?

    Anaïs Nin: “And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom”

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That quote is one of my favorites! I had it written in the cover of a journal once. Thanks for the reminder. Your kind and wise words are most appreciated. Also, I miss your smiling face (and Laurie's)! I hope all is well with you.

      Delete