Pages

Tuesday, December 30, 2014

The Books I'm Reading in 2015

Every year, I tell myself, "Under no circumstances are you to acquire more books until you have finished the hundreds that lie around unread on the shelves in your living room!" Every year, I ignore that order, and lo and behold . . . more books! I have no idea how this happens. Okay, I do have some clue. It has to do with paperbackswap, free books, and the local library book sale. These are all dangerous avenues to increasing the library.

It is unlikely I will stop acquiring books. It is a thing that happens and has been happening since before I can remember and will continue happening. So rather than setting a goal about not having more books, I have opted for more specific reading goals. These goals are attached to definite numbers and titles so that I can work my way through the existing living room library.

The broad goal for 2015 is to read two new-to-me books each month. To that end, I have set aside these 24 titles to read:

The Mill for Grinding Old People Young - Glenn Patterson
Flowers for Algernon - Daniel Keyes
The Time Machine - H.G. Wells
Wuthering Heights - Emily Bronte
The Joy Luck Club - Amy Tan
Brideshead Revisited - Evelyn Waugh
Jacob's Room - Virginia Woolf
The Hours - Michael Cunningham
Up in the Air - Walter Kirn
My Brilliant Friend - Elena Ferrante
The Edible Woman - Margaret Atwood
Snow Flower & the Secret Fan - Lisa See
The Story of My Life - Helen Keller
Mennonite in a Little Black Dress - Rhoda Janzen
Then Again - Diane Keaton
Tim Tebow: Through My Eyes - Tim Tebow
The Audacity of Hope - Barack Obama
The Story of the Trapp Family Singers - Maria von Trapp
Anna and the King of Siam - Margaret Landon
This I Remember - Eleanor Roosevelt
Tammy Wynette: Tragic Country Queen - Jimmy McDonough
Grace of Monaco - Steven Englund
The Letters of Abelard & Heloise
Dreams in a Time of War - Ngugi wa Thiong'o

I'm also really excited about Amy Poehler's Yes, Please and B.J. Novak's The Book with No Pictures. I'll be picking up Novak's book at the library tomorrow!

What are you reading this year? Anything you're particularly excited about or have been waiting to read for ages? Tell me in the comments about the tales that await you in 2015.

No comments:

Post a Comment