Pages

Monday, June 6, 2011

Chorus Girl: A Lesson in Humility

I’ve gotten spoiled playing lead roles in the past couple of shows I’ve done. In October of 2009, I was Lucy van Pelt in You’re a Good Man, Charlie Brown, and just this past January, I played Beauty in Beauty & the Beast (the play by Warren Graves). So when I went to audition for Cinderella on Friday, I had some high hopes about how I’d be cast. Those hopes were dashed when I awoke Saturday morning to find the cast list in my inbox and my name in the list under “Chorus.” My reaction was . . . unbecoming, to say the least.

I spent much of Saturday stewing, quite pathetically, over this revelation. Then I had a few wise words of encouragement from a few fantastic friends. So here are some things I’m trying to keep in mind throughout this production, some of them relevant to the above and others not at all:

  1. There are no small parts.
  2. There could be no show without the chorus. (Thank you, Megan!)
  3. No one can be in the spotlight all the time.
  4. Everyone deserves a chance to shine.
  5. Singing in the chorus is a marvelous challenge vocally and physically (dance-wise). It will make me a stronger performer all-around.
  6. I’ll still get to see a certain someone fairly frequently over the next couple of months.
  7. There will be plenty of time for me to (finally) learn to drive.

So there you have it (or perhaps I should say “there I have it”): seven optimistic things to think about being in the chorus.

I hope you’ll join me for the show on July 28-31 at the John Marshall High School Center for the Performing Arts in Glen Dale, WV. Visit the Strand Theatre website for more information and stay tuned for pictures and updates.

No comments:

Post a Comment