Pages

Thursday, June 23, 2011

It's Possible . . . I Just Know It Is

Rehearsal did, indeed, prove to be difficult. My brain failed to cooperate as I hoped it would. The verse was not at the front of my mind, and though I did not complain throughout rehearsal, I did vent on the way home instead of surrendering my frustration to God.

Today, the verse is written on my hand, in the hope that the constant reminder, closer than an index card on my computer, will burn the verse on my heart. Above it are listed the fruits of the Spirit, as defined in Galatians 5:22: love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control. They will be before my eyes as I dance, impossible to ignore.




An unfortunate side effect of writing something on the back of my hand is that it is also constantly bringing to mind Professor Umbridge's punishment of Harry Potter, during which the lines he's writing are carved into the back of his hand. So I guess I can also remember "I must not tell lies."

Although there were challenging moments, much of rehearsal was actually rather fun. We're getting the hang of the opening number and adding character layers. During the gavotte, too, we are breaking out of the "oh, no, I don't know what comes next!" mentality and beginning to enjoy ourselves a bit. The waltz is another story altogether, and the ability to sing while dancing is proving to be as elusive as ever. Practice, practice, practice, right? I'm relishing the refinement of my character and next will be exploring how she moves and what exactly makes her move that way. It is an interesting challenge of a different sort than that to which I am accustomed.

Tonight we're running the whole show. Waltzes, gavottes, and singing, oh my!

No comments:

Post a Comment