Pages

Monday, April 2, 2012

A Chorus Girl? Again?

You might remember from this post that last summer, I had a lesson in humility when I was cast in the chorus of Cinderella when I desperately wanted to be, well, Cinderella. Along the way, I learned a few other lessons about the art of being onstage and even got to have a knock-down, drag-out, hair-pulling fight with one of the other chorus girls, when we weren't flirting with every boy in sight. Our characters were our own, developed with the help of our director and our few lines in the opening number. From there on, we had so much creative freedom to develop who we wanted to be because there was so little in the script to dictate who we were. It was an adventure that I enjoyed very much and one I'm prepared to enjoy again if I am fortunate enough to be cast in this summer's production of Bye, Bye, Birdie.

It's the first musical back in the historic Strand Theatre, and Ryan Ferrebee will once again be at the helm. It's an exciting summer ahead, and I hope to see many of the same faces with whom I worked last year and, of course, new faces as well. What I hope to avoid is any casting drama a la my embarrassing meltdown last year, which is why I have prepared myself for the chorus. Even in the ensemble, there is opportunity for artistic growth and skill set expansion. There is singing and dancing and acting throughout because it is a musical, after all. If I am cast anywhere but there, I will certainly celebrate, but my enjoyment of the summer will not depend on where I am cast but rather only that I am cast at all. (Then again, I may not be cast at all and that will be a whole other kettle of fish which I'd rather not explore at this particular moment.)

I'll keep you posted on developments in this regard. Auditions aren't until the end of May, and before then, I've got a trip to Ireland to enjoy and a boatload of work to accomplish. I may as well put off the worrying, maybe completely!

No comments:

Post a Comment