Pages

Monday, August 6, 2012

A Toast

Today, while cleaning out my accordion file, I found some papers from college. I don't recall the assignment Dr. Cech gave us in that Fall 2006 section 5611 of LIT 4930: Hermes to H. Potter (or what, exactly, was going on with my capitalization here), but this is what I wrote:

A Toast

To Kool-Aid and Crayons and Color by Number
Stuffed Animals, Sleepovers, Best Friends Forever
To Coffee can stilts and a witches' stew
So little time and so much to do
To hand drawn cartoons like The Little Mermaid
Party dresses and costumes that Gram made
To Lightning Bugs in Mason Jars
Rugrats and Super Mario Brothers
To Hot Dogs and Macaroni & Cheese
To Overalls and matching tees
A Pink Dress, White Polka Dots
To A Dad called Pop who called me Dot
To Cheering lifts and camping trips
Singing with the band in my cowgirl outfit
Jump-rope and jumping on the trampoline
To Saltine crackers on Grandpa's swing
To Right to Read week, the Merry-Go-Round
Pig Math, clapping games on the playground
To The Pledge of Allegiance, The Act of Contrition
To Drug Abuse Resistance Education

To the time before--
. . . I knew being teacher's pet might be a bad thing
. . . I knew what cancer meant
. . . I cared what boys were thinking
. . . boyfriends happened
. . . I was expected to have a boyfriend
. . . I was supposed to wear make-up
. . . the pressure to be thin
. . . political correctness
. . . cynicism and air quotes and double entendres and innuendo
. . . we learned to curse, to drink, to party, to hate
. . . imagination made me an escapist
. . . reality tainted my imagination

To the days when--
. . . dirt was my only enemy
. . . my little brother was still little
. . . people thought we were twins
. . . my cousins were more like my sisters
. . . my brother and I could lie across the backseat side by side
. . . sharing was just what we did
. . . we went to church as a family
. . . I dreamed of being Mary in the fourth grade Nativity play
. . . I had time to read for fun
. . . the shows on Nick at Nite were what my parents had watched as kids
. . . no one had a cell phone and we only had computers at school
. . . I felt comfortable in a bathing suit
. . . I still wore shorts
. . . I thought I could be anything
. . . the grass was green enough at home

To smiling

To laughing

To enjoying the little things

To seeing the bright side

To enjoying swimming pools--not dreading them

To not holding my nose

To swimming with my eyes wide open

To plunging in sometimes without testing the water first

To believing in things that aren't real because they might someday be

2 comments:

  1. Micah! This is lovely! (I especially appreciate the "To the Time Before..." section. So true!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I really enjoyed writing this for Dr. Cech's class. His courses were some of my favorites of everything I took in college.

    ReplyDelete