Pages

Thursday, August 9, 2012

Theatrical Update: Of Mice and Men

Next month, I will be appearing in my first ever adult play: John Steinbeck's Of Mice and Men at Oglebay Institute's Towngate Theatre. Up until now, I've done musicals (Annie; CarnivalFootloose; Cinderella), shows with Parcel Players (the summer youth company at Towngate), and shows in the children's season at Towngate (You're a Good Man, Charlie Brown; Beauty & the Beast; Cinderella). While some of these plays and musicals did cover adult subject matter, I've never done a show with an adult cast meant for an audience composed of adults.

Steinbeck's play, based on his novel of the same name, follows George and Lennie, two itinerant farm workers, and the drama that unfolds on their new job. My character, unhappily newly wed to the boss's son Curley, has no name, no friends, and no occupation outside of housewifery. Longing for companionship and lost in dreams of a wholly different life, she seeks conversation with the men on the farm. The men refuse to speak with her, fearing the wrath of Curley and thinking the young woman a tart. She has hope, but . . . well, I won't spoil the end in case you've not read the book.

This role presents a challenge to me. Unlike the character, I had a really happy, pleasant childhood and now have a pretty pleasant and happy adulthood. I'm looking forward to digging into the character and learning more about her and her life. I also greatly appreciate the opportunity to work with director Tim Thompson on a show of this caliber. The men who compose the rest of the cast are mostly new to me, but I am excited to get to know them as friends and fellow actors.

Oglebay Institute's Towngate Theatre presents Of Mice and Men September 21-23 and 28-29. All shows are at 8 PM, except the 23rd, which is a 2 PM matinee. Tickets are $12.50/$11 for OI members/$6.25 for students with ID.

No comments:

Post a Comment