Pages

Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Connecting (with works by Kate Fridkis and Enuma Okoro)

The Huffington Post released a series of articles today by women in different decades of life, sharing what they've learned about beauty. Blogger Kate Fridkis wrote "What I Know About Beauty Now That I'm in My 20s." Like me, this author just turned 26. I really connected with this piece:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/kate-fridkis/what-i-know-about-beauty-20s_b_1383671.html?ref=women

Speaking of connecting with things, I'm reading Enuma Okoro's Reluctant Pilgrim. Sometimes, while reading it, I feel like I'm reading my diary. Or, rather, what would have been my diary had I bothered to write things down instead of being afraid someone was going to find my diary and read it. So I guess it feels like reading my own thoughts. Which is comforting because it makes me feel connected.


I recommend this book, no matter where you are on your spiritual journey. (I'll even send you my copy when I'm finished unless someone else has already claimed it.) Okoro writes with stunning forthrightness, holding nothing back even when it comes to her own difficulties and pain. Her candor is refreshing. She blogs here.

Since moving back to the Ohio Valley after college graduation, I've struggled with connecting with actual people. There are a few, scattered hither and yon around the country, but finding community here has proven difficult for me. Lately, though, God has been opening doors for fellowship and opening my heart to being more "real" with people. ("Real" is not the word I want to use, but I'm not sure what the word is. "Honest"? "Open"? "Genuine"?) Letting people in means allowing the possibility of vulnerability and the potential for pain, and I've shied away from that for too long.

So here's to chasing "real". Even if it means disappointment or hurt or awkwardness. Because it might also mean bliss and the beginning of lifelong friendships.

No comments:

Post a Comment