Pages

Thursday, March 29, 2012

Vicarious Living! (and lots of exclamation points...)

Okay, I won't deny it. My life is super incredibly blessed. One of those blessings is getting to see all of the cool and incredible things that my friends/acquaintances/peripheral connections are doing and experiencing all over the world.

A confession: I am mildly addicted to Facebook. I can go a few days without it and did recently, but usually, one of the first things I do in the morning is check the news feed. Not because anything life-changing is going to be posted but because I like that feeling of connection, even when it's so loose.

Recent developments (in no particular order):

  • A local playwright has been invited to present his musical at the Midtown International Theatre Festival in Manhattan! He has a kickstarter page to help get the project funded. First thing this morning: $10 funded. Right now, just over an hour after I first saw the project: $670 funded. It's a fantastic way to support a person or a project. On the plus side of making a pledge, if the project isn't fully funded, you're not charged. I don't know this playwright really at all. We've met a couple of times. I haven't read or seen this show. So why did I make a pledge to his project? I saw him onstage in a local production of Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead. He was Rosencrantz or Guildenstern, and his performance stunned me. (So did the actor opposite him. They were quite a pair.) He's a remarkably talented actor and so I support his pursuit of the arts in whatever avenue he chooses. Right now, that's this musical. (You can learn more about his musical and the kickstarter project here.) Incidentally, as I was writing this, the funding total went up to $680.
  • A guy I met my freshman year of college just finished working on a Cirque du Soleil show in Macau!
  • One of my youth orchestra families is taking a vacation to Paris next week!
  • A family I know in Crestview, FL, upcycles found materials into art. See their work here and here and probably a couple of other places, too. They're frequently posting about where you can find their work in person, and they even have an etsy store.
  • One of my dearest friends got married last month, another is now engaged, and I can't even begin to count the number of Facebook friends who are posting ultrasound or baby bump or "My, look how my baby's growing!" pictures.
  • My mom, who, after much prayerful consideration, quit her job of three years back in January, was just hired as the Director of Development for a local hospital.
  • Another theatre director friend was hired as the Executive Director of a local theatre and will be moving back once he finished grad school. Among his duties: direct this summer's production of Bye, Bye, Birdie. Also, he's going to be my opera buddy.
  • A dance friend invited me to take a private lesson with a national instructor this Friday.
  • (Disclaimer: This is not about a friend but rather about an exciting thing happening in downtown.) Barnes & Noble is opening a bookshop a block and a half from where I live! This is both good (easy access to books, hooray!) and bad (my bank account will likely take a hit). Focusing on the good!
  • A gal from my church is going on a two-week mission trip to Brazil this summer!
Just look at all that happy! And that's only a small fraction of the happy that infuses my news feed every day!

As my mother would say, life is good!

No comments:

Post a Comment